Picking the right motherboard is crucial to get as much performance as possible from your GPU, CPU & RAM, however, with so many options available it truly becomes hard to figure which motherboard is just right for you.
Here’s the kicker:
That’s what we’re here to do!
We’ll provide you as much information and a few solid choices from the ones we’ve tried to give you a hand at the choosing process, we can guarantee you that all the options provided are top notch and you will always be satisfied regardless of which one you choose.
Before we proceed, some information on the I5 11400F:
The I5 11400 and the I5 11400F are the new Intel 11th generation CPU released in 2021, it features a base frequency of 2.6Ghz which is relatively low, however, to make up for its low base frequency, the Turbo Frequency goes all the way up to 4.4Ghz. It also has 6 threads and 12 threads which is a massive improvement compared to older I5’s which feature only 4 cores and 8 threads.
Another key feature is the fact that it supports up to 3200Mhz RAM while the I5 10400 only supported up to 2666Mhz.
To get all the performance you can get from the I5 11400 you need to pair it with a good motherboard and that’s what this article is all about, giving you the top 6 motherboards that you should pick for your I5 11400 & for the I5 11400F. However, before we begin, you should know that the 11th gen CPU’s such as the I5 11400 can work with the Z490’s, however, the Z590’s or the B560’s will always be the best fit for the new CPUs, regardless, we will share with you some good options to choose from both Z590, B560’s and Z490’s.
Why should you trust our reviews/opinions?
Here at TechReviewTeam, we test every single motherboard before writing a detailed review on them. Unlike other websites, we don’t simply write reviews on products we’ve never tested, while others write reviews based on “theoretical performance” that the product SELLER ADVERTISES, we actually take our time to test the product we talk about & share the knowledge with you.
Our list of the Best Motherboard For I5 11400 / I5 11400F:
Best Z590 Motherboards:
The ROG Maximus XIII Hero is the best-selling Z590 motherboard for the Intel Core I5 11400. The ROG Maximus XIII Hero builds on the popularity of its predecessors by combining improved power, smart cooling, and hyper-speed networking in a stealthy package. The new Hero is prepared to take the lead of your high-end gaming build, boasting renowned ROG features such as AI-enhanced controls and adjustable Aura Sync illumination.
It has the most features overall when compared to all other motherboards, best sound, allows overclocking with safety, and if you ever wish to upgrade your CPU to something even more powerful in the future, as long as it’s 11th gen CPUs this motherboard will easily support it and draw out its full potential.
The Strix is currently the best-selling Z590 motherboard, most likely due to its low price when compared to all the great features it provides. Despite not being the very best like the ROG Maximus XIII, it’s still up there and heavily outperforms the old Z490 motherboards.
- Intel LGA 1200 socket: Designed to maximize the performance of 11th generation Intel Core processors.
- AI Motherboard features AI Overclocking, AI Cooling, AI Networking, and AI Noise Cancellation.
- Powerful Solution: 14+2 Dr. MOS power stages with ProCool II power connector, high-quality alloy chokes, and long-lasting capacitors offer dependable power while CPU output is pushed to the max.
- VRM heatsink, PCH fanless heatsink, M.2 heatsink, hybrid fan headers, and Fan Xpert 4 utility for improved thermal design.
- Intel WiFi 6 AX201 (802.11 ax), Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet with ASUS LANGuard provide high-performance gaming networking.
- Sick design & color.
Best Z490 Motherboards:
Just like the Z590’s, the ROG Maximus yet again dominates the #1 spot as the best motherboard, this time of the Z490’s, it outperforms any other motherboard, however, it’s also quite expensive.
- Intel LGA 1200 socket: Engineered to improve the performance of Intel Core processors from the 10th generation.
- Powerful Solution: 14+2 power stages with ProCool II power connector, high-quality alloy chokes, and long-lasting capacitors provide dependable power even though the CPU output is pushed to its limits.
- Optimized Thermal Design: In addition to a comprehensive heatsink, Heatpipe, and fan headers, this model incorporates low-noise AI cooling to balance thermals and acoustics by decreasing fan speeds and retaining a 5 Celsius delta.
- Dual Ethernet with 5Gb and gigabit Ethernet, LANGaurd, dual M. 2, USB 3. 2 Gen 2, and Intel WiFi 6 AX201 have the fastest gaming connectivity (802. 11 ax)
- Gaming audio that is unrivaled in the industry: High-fidelity audio from the SupremeFX S1220A codec, DTS Sound Unbound, and Sonic Studio III immerses you in the action.
- Unrivaled Individualization: Aura Sync RGB lighting, including RGB headers and Gen 2 addressable headers, is unique to ASUS.
- A style that is user-friendly: I/O shield, BIOS Flashback, Q-Code, and FlexKey are all pre-installed.
The MSI MPG Z490 is probably the best motherboard for I5 11400 in terms of being on a budget, it’s very cheap for a motherboard of its quality but it still falls short of any of the other 3 options we have shown you previously.
- Supports Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron processors from the 10th generation for the LGA 1200 socket.
- Supports up to 128GB of dual-channel DDR4 memory (4800MHz)
- Lightning USB 20G is powered by the ASmedia 3241 USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 controller, offering never before seen USB speeds up to 20Gb/s from the Rear USB Type-C port
- Dual Turbo M.2 with M.2 Shield. Frozr supports ultra-fast SSDs with transmission rates of up to 32 GB/s.
- On-board 2.5G LAN as well as Gigabit LAN with Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
- I/O Shielding is pre-installed for simplicity and safety from electrostatic discharge.
Best B560 Motherboards:
If you were going to pick the best B560 motherboard then this should be the one, otherwise you should just go with the Z590’s as the price is getting close to them. The motherboard itself is still relatively fine in terms of features & overall performance.
- Intel Core Series Processors from the 11th and 10th generations are supported.
- Dual Channel Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs Clear 12+1 Phases Optical VRM Solution with 50A DrMOS
- Shielded Memory Routing for Improved Memory Overclocking
- Thermal Architecture that is Entirely Covered with High Coverage MOSFET Heatsinks
- CPU:INTEL SOCKET1200 FOR INTEL 10TH/11TH GENERATION CORE
- CHIPSET:INTEL B560
- STORAGE:2M.2 SLOTS; 6 SATA 6GB/S PORTS
- MEMORY:4DIMM MAX 128GB DDR4
What motherboards support Intel 11th gen?
Motherboards built on the Intel Z590, Z490 and B560 are designed to support the intel 11th gen CPUs.
How do I overclock my I5 11400F?
You cannot overclock the I5 11400F as it is not an unlocked CPU, to overclock, it would need to be the “K” model.
Do 10th gen motherboards support the I5 11400?
Only the Z490’s motherboards support it, however, the Z590 still outperforms them are recommended as the Z490’s need to wait for BIOS Updates to properly support the new CPUs.