Many people have been noticing a difference in the refresh rates of their monitors. Over the past few years a new trend has been emerging, and it is called high-frequency monitors.
Many gamers are excited about this because they think that this is going to make gaming more realistic, more smooth, but there is also some confusion as to whether or not it actually helps gameplay at all. In this blog post, we will look at some pros and cons of 165hz monitors for gaming! We will first list our recommended list of 165Hz monitors, we will then proceed to explain what Hz means & the benefits of having a high Hz monitor when playing games.
|Monitor||Key Feature||Check Price|
|ASUS VG248QG 24"||Cheapest 165Hz we recommend|
|ASUS VG278QR 27”||Slightly better monitor than the one above, while also being 3 inches bigger.|
|MSI Optix G27CQ4 27"||1440p 165Hz monitor, Definitely our favorite pick.|
For in-depth review / feature list of each monitor, scroll down!
What does 165 Hz mean?
Hertz is short for cycles per second, essentially, how often the images refresh per second.
What is the difference between the standard 60hz and other high-frequency monitors?
The refresh rate of a monitor is how many times it refreshes its image to display one frame. This is measured in hertz (Hz). The higher the number, generally speaking, means more frames will be shown each second on your screen – resulting in smoother gameplay! A common misconception is that Hz represents FPS (Frames Per Second) but this is not true. FPS determines how smooth your game or video looks while Hz only helps determine how often your monitor is capable of refreshing the image.
So is 165Hz good for warzone & other games?
Yes! 165 Hz is good for gaming & for everything in general! They make everything smoother and give you a much better gaming experience.
If you are someone who likes to play competitively, then 120-240 is probably more suitable for your needs since they have faster refresh rates. The only real downside of having a higher Hz is that you need a good computer to match (CPU & GPU), if your computer can’t reach high FPS (example: if you have 120 HZ Monitor you need a minimum of 120 FPS) then the extra refresh rate won’t matter at all because you don’t have enough FPS to update it that often!
If your PC is not up to par, then having a higher refresh rate monitor won’t really improve gameplay or make it smoother at all! You need a strong machine in order for this extra power to even matter and help out! If your computer is struggling with 60 FPS already, then there is no use going beyond that as it will only be wasted resources – unless maybe if you’re playing an old game or something similar where those fps might actually still look smooth enough since they are low anyway. It completely depends on what games you play as well as what type of graphics quality settings you like to use (low vs ultra).
As such, we generally recommend you to monitor your in-game FPS & decrease your in-game settings accordingly to make sure you have enough to match your monitor, that’s why most competitive players always play to minimum settings, so they have as high FPS as possible.
Best brands for high Hz monitors?
BenQ is a great brand for high Hz monitors. They have a lot of different options and prices ranges to choose from! The Benq Zowie RL2455 is one example at 165hz, but they also make many others as well.
Besides BenQ, we would suggest you have a look at Asus as well.
Asus is known for making excellent products! No matter what your budget is you can find something that works well within it whether it’s just 120 Hz all the way up to 240Hz!
- 24 inch Full HD (1920×1080) display with an overclockable 165Hz (supports 144Hz) rapid refresh rate and 0.5ms (GTG) response time
- NVIDIA G-SYNC technology removes stutter and screen tearing for the smoothest gaming experience
- ASUS Eye Care technology with flicker-free and blue light filter to minimize eye fatigue
- Flexible connectivity with HDMI (v1 4) DisplayPort 1.2 and Dual-link DVI-D ports
- Ergonomically-designed stand with tilt swivel pivot height adjustment plus wall-mount capability for ultimate viewing comfort
- Exclusive GameVisual & Gameplus functions to enhance color performance and control
ASUS VG248QG 24″ gaming monitor features the fastest 0.5ms gray-to-gray response time for ultra-smooth gameplay, NVIDIA G-SYNC to eliminate screen tearing and minimize stutter for super-smooth visuals, and ASUS Eye Care technology to reduce eyestrain with flicker-free backlighting and blue light filters. The VG248QG is also rapid refresh rated at 165Hz ensuring amazingly fluid gaming visual in its true form.
Featuring ASUS-exclusive Extreme Low Motion Blur and Adaptive-Sync(FreeSync™) technology for incredible gameplay without tearing and stuttering. Certified as G-SYNC Compatible, delivering a seamless, tear-free gaming experience by enabling VRR(variable refresh rate) by default.
- 27 inch Full HD (1920×1080) display with 165Hz refresh rate (supports 144Hz) and 0.5ms (GTG) response time Perfect to gain the upper hand in FPS racer real-time strategy and sport titles and free Sync/Adaptive Sync for a tear-free experience
- G-SYNC compatible technology supported through DisplayPort and HDMI ports provides variable refresh rates for low latency stuttering-free and tearing-free while gaming
- Extreme low motion blur (ELMB) technology reduces ghosting and motion blur creating a fluid gaming experience
- Marathon ready with ASUS Eye Care technology to minimize eye fatigue and an ergonomic stand with full height/tilt/swivel/pivot adjustments to accommodate any desk
- Flexible connectivity options with DisplayPort 1.2 HDMI 1.4 Dual-link DVI-D
- Stereo 2W speakers provide for a full sound while eliminating the need for external speakers
The VG278QR gaming display is built for victory in the professional gaming arena and features a 27 inch Full HD panel with an ultra-fast 0.5ms response time and blazing 165Hz refresh rate to give you super-smooth gameplay. ASUS Extreme Low Motion Blur (ELMB ) Technology enables a 0.5ms response time (GTG) together with Adaptive-Sync eliminating ghosting and tearing for sharp gaming visuals with high frame rates. Armed with the ROG-exclusive GamePlus hotkey LAN port indicator and GameVisual technologies; The VG278QR provides several PC gaming essentials to give you an in-game advantage.
- Curved Gaming display (1500R) – The best gameplay immersion
- QHD High Resolution – Game titles will even look better, displaying more details due to the QHD resolution
- True colors – DCI-P3 90% & sRGB 115%
- 1ms response time – eliminate screen tearing and choppy frame rates
- AMD FreeSync – prevent screen tearing
See everything in your game and maximize your gaming experience with the MSI Optix G27CQ4 curved gaming monitor. Equipped with a 2560×1440, 165hz Refresh rate, 1ms response time panel, the Optix G27CQ4 will give you the competitive edge you need to take down your opponents. Built with Adaptive Sync technology, the G-SYNC compatible G271CQR can match the display’s 165Hz refresh rate with your GPU for ultra-smooth gameplay. Make sure you can hit your mark with all the latest technologies built-in the MSI Curved Gaming monitors for competitive play.
John has been a gamer since the early age of 7, playing a huge variety of single-player games, and MMOs, and even participating in LAN Tournaments for FPS games such as Counter-Strike Global Offensive. Ever since he found his passion in gaming & in technology in general, he has continuously increased his knowledge in software, programming & hardware and is now working at TechReviewTeam helping readers, answering questions, writing articles & reviews for the team.